Sunday, June 28, 2009
Fabric Added Year to Date: 76 1/2 yards
Fabric Used Week 26: 5 1/2 yards
Fabric Used Year to Date: 42 5 /8 yards
I AM HAPPY to report there has been some stash busting going on around here. Finally! I used 1/2 yard for Sandie's Quilt binding. The other usage happened while I worked on and off for the last few weeks to turn this twenty fat quarters Into this top:I'm having a hard time finding a suitable backing in my stash, hopefully I'll find (decide) something soon, the binding has already been prepared from left over strips, so it will be just the backing on next week's report. It seems like I'm stuck on those red and green combinations, this one has a little brown and yellow but still the red and green are louder. The next project will be either purple or blue, something more male orientated.
On the Saturday class, it's going well. Here is Mickey reading our schedule for the next two months, we managed to secure our meeting place for the summer, although, we had to exchange Saturday mornings for Friday evenings on some dates, but overall I think it will work out just fine.
I was wondering... How does a group became a guild? I suppose I'll be doing some research on it, as it seems like it will the next obvious step for our group. Thank God for this great resource known as the Internet.
To close and just because, here are a couple of pictures on my two favorite beings, little peanut, my favorite grandbaby:And Swiffer my furbaby:
Edited: I still haven't figure out how to respond to comments, so I'm responding here. Sheila asked about the pattern for Sandie's Quilt, it's called Dandelion wishes on the American Patchwork & Quilting magazine, issue April 2008.
Saturday, June 20, 2009
I love it, love it, LOVE IT!. It will be painful to give it away! I want to keep it, but I already opened my big mouth and the entire world knows who this baby belongs to, so I'll just have to chin up and pass it on. Maybe I'll make another for myself, if I do, I'll try not to take two years the second time around. Great opportunity to reduce stash.
Right, almost forgot, Stash report: Nothing in, nothing out. Oh wait, yes I used 18 inches of white fabric for the binding, I'll add it up on next week's report.
Here is Ann sewing strips for a lap quilt backing:
These two ladies are new members and beginner quilters, they had just signed up a week before our class was cancelled and Mickey, our instructor, did not turn them away, instead is teaching them on a volunteer basis.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Lucy's Christmas String/Scrappy Stars:
I plan on posting about our weekly classes, it would be nice to kept a ongoing journal to record our groups journey. It looks like great things and new adventures are in our future.
Fabric Added Week 24: 0 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 76 1/2 yards
Fabric Used Week 24 : 0 yards
Fabric Used Year to Date: 37 1 /8 yards
I probably should have said nothing in and nothing out, but I thought I needed a reminder, it's been almost half a year and my stash busting is not going very well. There is a need to seriously start busting the stash in the next two months, August is my birthday month and this is when I plan to enhance my stash to my heart's content. Storage space it at a premium around here, so making room is a priority. While there hasn't been any fabric usage, I had a great sewing week. I finished an old, old, OLD project: A string quilt. I can't even remember when I started, but I know it was buried in a closet last summer after pin basting. It is free motion quilted with wavy meandering across the blocks
Had a little mishap with the "quilting" gloves, my machine was determined to sew them unto the quilt:
But I persevered and finished it. Here is it after an encounter with the washer and dryer
There is hope still for my machine quilting skills to get better.
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Speaking of Saturday class, our teacher Mickey just gave us some awful news, due to education funding cuts in the State of California, our class has been cancelled for the summer; next Saturday is our last class. The fall session will probably be cancelled as well, even eliminated entirely, but we won't know for sure until August. Most of the students were devastated as this is about the only opportunity we had to interact with other quilters. Maybe the state's economy will get better and our class will be re-opened, but in the meantime, we'll try to organize get-together's somewhere else in a non-school district environment, something will work out.
On the stash report, nothing in and nothing out. I've been just not in the mood to touch my sewing machine until this weekend, my courage just popped in and I started to machine quilt a string top I put together about a year ago. Just quilted in the ditch and thought about leaving it at that, but the quilted rows are 7 inches apart. It has lots of bulky seams.... but I have some ideas that may work, so that's what Im working on today.