Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday stash report - July 25th 2010

Fabric added last two weeks: 0 yards
Fabric added YTD: 143 yards
Fabric used last two weeks: 9.5 yards mystery, 1.5 yards tote bag.
Fabric used YTD: 86.5 yards
Net used for 2010: -56.5 yards

I saved the clues from last Sunday's Planet Patchwork mystery and have been working on it this week. These are the fabrics I'm using.
This is one of the blocks, I love it!. The little star is adorable!.
The mystery is a double Irish chain with the stars placed in the traditional blank area. The pattern calls for 15 blocks in a 3 x 5 block arrangement. I tend to like bigger quilts and I have enough fabric to double the blocks for a 5 x 6 block setting, so I worked every evening on the extra blocks and all 3o are now done. I plan to finish the top including borders in time for next Sunday's report.
My youngest sister is visiting again this summer, she usually asks me to sew for her, but this time she asked if I can teach her to make tote bags. This is great! I love it when someone shows interest in anything related to fabric and sewing. The best part? Stash usage!.
This is the first tote bags she made.
I am trilled that someone in the family is showing interest in sewing and is helping me use my stash, although... there are some fleeing moments where the little ugly hobbit in me wants to say: "NOOO, you can't have my prettiest, precious fabric". Then the voice of reason (and maybe a scheming hobbit) says "There is more and prettier fabric at the store". I wonder where I would be in the near future?. LOL

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday Stash Report - July 11th 2010

Fabric added this week: 0 yards
Fabric added YTD: 143 yards
Fabric used last week: 9.5 yards
Fabric used YTD: 75.5 yards
Net used for 2010: -67.5 yards

Wow! I kept my goal of getting caught up with Judy's June Mystery . When I started to put clue #5 together I was a little disappointed on my choice of fabrics, there is not enough contrast in the two pinks, but it was looking better and better as I went along, I actually like it a lot!.
Most evenings this week, I worked on getting all my blocks finished, it's surprising how pretty the pink and orange combo look together. Saturday was spent sewing the blocks together into a top.I was so excited about my progress that I kept going well past midnight last night. All three borders were added last night and the top is done!.
There is enough fabric left to make a second top, but I want to change the orange to be the medium accent and a hot pink to be the dark accent. More fun for me this week!.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sunday Stash Report - July 4th 2010

Fabric added last two weeks: 0 yards
Fabric added YTD: 143 yards
Fabric Used last Two Weeks: 0 yards
Fabric Used YTD: 66 yards
Net used for 2010: -77 yards

A couple of weekends ago, I decided to jump right in with Judy's June mystery instead of starting the Crazy mom quilts quilt along as I had planned. I was a little intimidated by having to cut a 4 1/2 yard piece lenghtwise, it just seems like a task that requires a lot of precision folding and cutting. Since I had bought 10 yards of white solid cotton and each project called for 4 1/2 yards of background, Judy's mystery won first spot on my wish/to do list. I was so eager to get started and caught up with the mystery, after all it was already on clue #3 or #4, I choose only three fabrics and white background for the blocks and a hot pink for biding.

These two next pictures are of the caos on my sewing and cutting table after getting a couple of clues done.
I finished all 17 blocks for Clue #4 but I'm not completely caught up with all the other clues.

The plan is to continue working on the rest of the clues and hopefully be all caught up by next stash report so I can claim all the yards used. Lot of sewing (and by default lots of fun) for me this week.