Sunday, February 13, 2011

Her Name is Violet

Fabric added this week:  1 yard - Mail order
Fabric added YTD:  3 yards
Fabric used this week:  8 yards
Fabric used YTD:  22 yards
Net used for 2011:  19 yards

What is that phrase? "Best laid plans..."  I received the "baby shower is cancelled" call early last week, my grand-niece decided to come to this world early and her and her mom will most likely not be at their best on Saturday.  When I heard the baby's name is Violet, I couldn't resist changing my plans. Instead of making a baby quilt using a panel,  I would get to participate on Judy's Monochromatic challenge and have the most appropriate quilt for little miss Violet, perfect!.  I used  Eleanor's Burns Cornerstones pattern from the book Still stripping and managed to make two tops:
Here is one block:
I made the two tops just because I could, the pattern fabric requirements are too generous and there was enough material to piece two tops, I added a little bit more for the background, borders and binding.   5 1/2 yards of fabric out of the stash and more to come out when I decide what to use for the backing. 

But before all of this excitement, I was working on my NYE mystery top and it was at this stage by Sunday night
A framing border with cornerstones and a final border were added yesterday for an additional usage of 2 1/2 yards,
The feeling of accomplishment is a great motivator and  I decided to keep at it and also prepared binding for all three tops, pink for the mystery and white for the two baby quilts

I also selected a backing for February's UFO challenge, but I did not include the yardage yet as I did not get to sew the two pieces together.  I'm so thrilled with the stash busting as well with the production level this week, I hope to keep it up and have finished items on my next report.  I'm even posting a little earlier than usual, I'm eager to get back to my sewing room! LOL.  Of course, not before a couple of cups of coffee and some Stash reports reading.

PS. That one yard?  I wanted to try mail ordering fabric as I never done it before,  the quality is not what I was expecting, I'm a little dissapointed...

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Stash - Report February 6th 2011

Fabric added this week:  0 yards
Fabric added YTD:  2 yards
Fabric used this week:  0 yards
Fabric used YTD:  14 yards
Net used for 2011:  12 yards

Minimal sewing this week, ughhhh! (The only good thing about not having time for sewing, it's also not having time for shopping!  there are still good numbers on the stash report)  By Monday night, I finished hand sewing the binding on my January UFO and had two rows of the NYE mystery sewn, then life got in the way and any free time I might of had went out the door.  Lucky me, I had the baby shower date wrong and it's not until this coming Saturday.  I still have a few days to make that baby quilt, thank God for pre-printed panels.

I plan on piecing a back for February's UFO challenge,  Judy selected #10 which is my Planet patchwork summer mystery.
Time permitting, I hope to have the backing done by Friday and put together my quilt layers during Saturday morning class.  As for now, I'm giving myself a coffee break, I'll read as many stash reports as I can while I sip, then it's to the sewing room until it's time for baby sitting duty later this afternoon.