Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Stash report - Feb 21st

Fabric Added last couple of weeks: 60 1/2 yards
Fabric added YTD: 92.5 yards
Fabric used last couple of weeks: 12 yards
Fabric used YTD: 36 yards
Net used for 2010: -56.5

It all started when I was asked, by someone special, to make a quilt for them. The excitement of starting a specific project took over. My previously selected Valentine's Day project was forgotten, the magazine stash come out and the fun begun. I selected this pattern from a 2005 American Patchwork & Quilting issue. The new quilt needs to be in a different colorway: yellow, green, brown and orange. I had a couple of prints that would work in my stash but orange was the missing color. Hence the shopping :-). It happened to be President's Day Sale at the fabric store and I found at least 4 different orange prints that would work ( and a few others that I just liked). When we got home, the grouping wasn't working as the new pieces did not mingle nicely with the other fabrics already selected. A trip to a second store was made and I found the perfect piece, along with a few others that caught my eye and came home with me. It took me an entire week to be happy with my fabric selection and summon the courage to cut, when I found it I stripped 11 yards worth of fabric. This is what they look like coming out of the back of the machine:
My first completed block.

I get too impatient and want to see the pattern as soon as possible, so I sewed two blocks together and this is what they look like:
The plan is to finish sewing about 3 more sets of strips, press all the sewn strips and start cutting the individual blocks. Good thing this quilt will be finished at about 100" x 100" for a king sized bed. If I manage to complete the top by next weekend, I'll be able to then count the backing, borders and binding as busted. A very promising week!.

No comments: