Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Stash Report - June 13th 2010

Fabric Added this week: 2 yards
Fabric Added YTD: 133 yards
Fabric used this week: 6 yards
Fabric Used YTD: 62 1/2 yards
Net used for 2010: -69 1/2 Yards
I'm feeling good about my sewing & quilting for the last couple of weeks. There was a finished and gifted quilt, another gifted quilt, a started quilt top and minimal fabric shopping.
the baby quilt made from these string blocks,
was finished into this cute quilt. I used 1/2 yard of fabric for binding. It is a gift for a baby girl who is due to be born in the next couple of weeks. The quilting didn't turn out that great, this is the first time I had trouble with thread breakage. I was so frustrated after trying every tip and suggestions in the world on how to prevent this, I just concentrated on getting the meandering done. Because of the thread problems, it turned out denser than I wanted; this was a good thing, after all, the denser quilting along with machine sewn binding made a very sturdy baby quilt. I think it will stand up to lots of use. Here is a close up of a corner.
This blue quilt finished some time ago was the perfect gift for a Grand-nephew who arrived into our family a couple of days after Memorial Day.
This is where I had the most fun! And usage, 5 1/2 yards so far. Started piecing my baby sister's quilt and here is the progress so far. Initially it was to be made as a 9 patch & rail fence and on point pattern from the book Still Stripping by Eleanor Burns. I miss calculated and was short a 2 1/2" strip of the black, so the on-point setting would not work as I was short three rail fence blocks. Ok, let do a straight setting, OMG! I liked it so much better!. I also run into a little trouble with this setting fabric. The hearts are non-directional but the words: "I love you" are, this is another validation that the straight setting is a better option for this quilt. I love it when things just work out on their own.The only problem, it is turning out smaller than I want it. The fabrics here were the original designated borders, but now I'm considering a pieced border.
That is where the 2 purchased yards of a white dotted black fabric come in. Now that the original plan has gone in a new direction, this new addition will became the binding. The project will have to wait a few days though, I need to finish two baby quilts for gifts and they are due (the gifts, not the babies) by tomorrow. I'm off to sew and use more of my stash, I'm going in the right direction for a change.

No comments: